Jagadguru Swami Sathyananda Saraswathi
A Universal Vision of Humanism
Humanism is the oneness and the uniqueness of pure consciousness that underlies the world: both animate and inanimate. To recognise and realise this truth is to harmoniously co-exist with fellow men, other living beings, Mother Earth and the Universe. Religious and secular dogmas that impede the free unfolding of human nature into Humanism and Universalism must be and shall be discarded into the dustbin of history. The artificial barriers like East-West, North-South, etc., conceived and perpetrated by the petty ego of man will disintegrate when the mankind discovers its true nature.
Jagadguru Swami Sathyananda Saraswathi has had inborn spiritual disposition that flowered as he grew up. On the eve of the departure to Himalayas Gurupadar summoned Him to the Ashram and Swamiji spent three years with Gurupadar. After the Samadhi of Gurupadar His Holiness performed fourteen-year-long penance on Sree Lalita Tripurasundari with a rigorous regime of conducting poojas five times a day. Such an intensity of Sree Lalita Upasana has only been recorded in the live of Adi Shankara. His Holiness realised the Divine Mother and at Her Divine Command has been engaged in the comprehensive uplift of the Indian society.
His Holiness is a Saint-Incarnation of the highest order. His Holiness is a Trikala Jnani whose awareness spans the past, the present and the future. His Holiness possesses the Ashtaiswarya Sidhis and many more Sidhis like His Guru Brahmasree Neelakanta Gurupadar.
Sampoojya Swamiji has the ability to be present in distant places simultaneously. For instance, His Holiness visited ailing devotees at Kochi during the US Visit in 2000. His Holiness had also stopped the furious sea from invading a temple on the coast by commanding it to recede and occupy same proportion of land in un-inhabited island!!!
His Holiness is known for curing diseases by very simple actions like offering a vibhooti (sacred ash) on the forehead. There are many instances of curing by command. A casual “you are cured” statements have changed physical ailments of many.
Having ill will to none and compassion for all Swamiji, with His immeasurable spiritual power, has given solace and happiness to the ailing and the unfortunate. More than 3000 alcoholics have been de-addicted at the ashram under His blessing.
A Unique Path of Humanism
Swamiji’s life is a unique confluence of the 4 spiritual paths: Jnâna yoga, Bhakti yoga, Râja yoga and Karma yoga. His Holiness is a veritable treasure of spiritual wisdom, an ecstatic devotee of Mother Goddess, a yoga teacher par excellence and the greatest Karma yogi to uphold Sanathana Dharma (the Eternal Tradition) since Swami Vivekananda.
H.H. is a poet and scholar of great philosophical depth. His poems are marked by their unusual rhythm and vivid imagination. His poetic expressions range from devotional hymns, couplets for children, to highly philosophical and mystical poems on Mother Goddess and Lord Krishna at par with Mahishasura-mardini Stotram.
H.H has authored many books, articles, essays and pamphlets on various aspects of Hinduism His emphasis has been on scientific interpretation of religion to highlight the essence and the true scientific spirit behind it.
H.H has completed a ten-volume commentary on The Adhyatma Ramayana bringing out the subtlest and most salient aspects of the epic hitherto uncovered by no scholar. He has magnificently brought to light the relevance of the Dharmic way of life, the noble concept of family, the brotherhood, the social order and the just polity inherent in the Rama Rajya (the Kingdom of Rama) to the modern, strife-torn world.
Swamiji’s published works in English are An introduction to Ramayana and Reflections on Hinduism. His Holiness is currently engaged in the English translation of Ramacharita Manasa by Gōswāmi Tulasidās.
Swamiji conducted SATHAKOTI ARCHANA (1 Billion Holy Names of the Divine Mother) at Thiruvananthapuram from January 4 to August 4, 2000. The Yajna was blessed by the Holy Descent of the Divine Mother in the form of luminous light on the eve of May 30, 2000. Sampoojya Swamiji along with Vishwachaitanya Narayan Maharaj also conducted a VISHWA SHANTHI YAJNA of 200 Crore Shiva-Dattatreya Namas at Narayanpur, Pune in November-December 2000.
Swamiji’s Mission Abroad
His Holiness delivered the keynote address at the World Hindu Conference 2000, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago in August 2000.
Swamiji led the Indian delegates at the sessions on Elimination of Poverty at the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders at the United Nations, in August 2000.
Swamiji was awarded the Hindu of the Year 2000 citation by the Federation of Hindu Association (FHA), Los Angels for the outstanding contributions for the protection and propagation of Sanathana Dharma.
His Holiness inspired the formation of a Hindu forum for the transmission of the heritage and integration of the future generations to their culture. His Holiness inaugurated the first Kerala Hindu Convention of North America at Dallas, Texas in April 2001. Swamiji also inaugurated the Second and Third National Conventions of the Kerala Hindus of North America in November 2003 and July 2005respectively.
Swamiji has established centers of Sree Rama Dasa Mission in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Richmond, VA, Dallas, Houston, Los Angels and San Jose.
Swamiji has disciples and active centers in Malaysia, New Zealand, Switzerland, the Caribbean Islands, and the United Kingdom.
“No religion should impede the freedom and growth of the innate humanism in man.“
- Religion is the science that discovers the importance and independence of LIFE in the universe.
- Wealth can be gained, but not LIFE.
- The motto of religion is neither to negate nor to neglect, but to conceive and comfort.
- The role of religion is over when the law of unity is interpreted.
- Universe is the abode of service
- Religion is the essence of universal service
More About Swamiji
- Birth: September 25,1935 at Andoorkonam village Thiruvananthpuram
- Excellent student,competent teacher,gifted poet,orator par excellence,social activist and promotor of classical arts.
- Summoned to the ashram by Gurupadar.The Guru-Shishya relationship between them was a living experience and expression of the classical definition in Guru Geetha
- Guru spoke very little and communicated through symbolism and eye-movements;the ever-attentive disciple fulfilled every duty in an impeccable manner.
- Took the reigns of a humble institution and single -handedly built it into an organization of international significance.
- Observed extreme hardship and penance for fourteen years and realized the Divine Mother.
- At Her Divine command stepped out of the ashram to spearhead the Dharma samara against conversion,false propaganda and distortion of truth by the proselytizing religion and the communists.
- A unique confluence of the four paths;Jnana Yoga,Bhakti Yoga,Raja Yoga and Karma Yoga.
- AVeritable treasure of spiritual wisdom and ecstatic devotee of the Divine Mother, a yogi par excellence and the greatest Karma Yogi to uphold Sanathana Dharma since Swami Vivekananda.
- Restorer of numerous old temples,consecrator of new ones across the globe.
- Founder of more than 13 institutions in India and abroad;establishment of Kutumba Samithis in 1980;organization of Acharya Sameeksha and Jyotiprayana in 1985.
- Founder Chairman,Hindu Unity Forum;Executive member Kendra Marg Darshak Mandal and Rama Janmabhoomi Nyas Manch.
- Progenitor of the Harivarasanam Project at Sabarimala.
- Visionary behind Punnyabhoomi; International Sanathana Daily(A World Hindu Newspaper).
- Hitherto unparalled Sathakoti Archana(1 Billion chants) in 2000 to commemorate the centenary of Brahmasree Neelakanta Gurupadar.
- Dwi-Sathakoti Archana(2 Billion chants) at Sri Kshetra,Narayanpur,nera Pune.
- Delivered the keynote address at the World Hindu Conference 2000,Port of Spain,Trinidad and Tobago,in August 2000.
- Led the Indian delegates in the sessions on Elimination of Poverty at the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders at the United Nations ,in August 2000.
- Inspired the formation of Kerala Hindus of North America aimed at integrating the future generations with their cultures and provided Divine patronage;inaugurated the first,second and third biennial National Conventions of Kerala Hindus of North America at Dallas(2001),Houston(2003) and Chicago(2005).
- Sree Ramanavami Rathayatra since 1989 covering the southern states;Sree Rama Navami Hindu maha Sammelan at Thiruvananthapuram since 1991.